Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Disappointment and Opportunity

I don't really know where I'm going with this post, so it is entitled "Rambling #1." I'm trying to go along with the whole posting about my life/learning things/forcing myself to gain perspective.

I opened Facebook today and saw a girl in my sorority had been accepted to the Disney College Program. I know how overwhelming that feeling is because only a few months ago, I was accepted to the DCP for Spring Term Advantage. This would mean I'd be leaving soon to Florida to work in Disney World, one of my dreams. Due to circumstances out of my hands, I was not able to accept this offer. Being accepted to the DCP is an extreme honor, since hundreds to thousands of people apply, but few are actually accepted. It is exclusive and for Disney lovers who hope to work for the company one day, it is a huge boost. No tuition while still getting college credit? Getting paid for doing what you love? Duh.

Because it has been a few months, I was thinking I was over it, looking forward to a time in my life when I will be able to apply again. Seeing this girl's post, however, threw me over the edge again. I was so happy for her yet so devastated about being reminded about how I couldn't go. I fear applying again and being rejected and never being able to go.

But despite all of my worries, I know it is such an honor to have been accepted in the first place. I also know I have so many other opportunities. I'm still waiting to hear back from colleges about the status of my transfer applications. I was chosen to go to Italy this summer to study Italian. I was accepted into my sorority with so many lovely women. I've been cast in numerous shows. I am thankful for all of these things because I know they are opportunities other people do not get.

So I have reached the moral of this post, and I feel much better. Though I am still disappointed about the Disney College Program, I have so much else to be thankful for. It's okay to be disappointed, it sucks when things don't turn out how you'd hoped, but remember to recognize the opportunities you do have.

(Theory #2 about bloggers: pretending to have your life together, helps you actually get your life together)

(Theory #3 about bloggers: talking about something that's bothering you will eventually lead you to a self-fulfilling conclusion that you can blog about)

No comments:

Post a Comment