Thursday, June 30, 2016

I Made a Cake!

So this week's schedule is kind of wonky. I got back from VidCon super late on Sunday and wasn't able to finish editing and posting my video for it until Tuesday, which meant that the VidCon post was up late. I make no promises that I will post tomorrow (Friday) though I have a post planned, as it is going to be my first day in Italy! And with the time difference honestly who knows how everything will work out. So thank you for keeping up with my crazy schedule and my sporadic posts, I will work on that as I travel!

After being away at college for nine months and rarely having access to a kitchen I was dying to be able to cook and bake. I am a stress baker, not a stress eater; I don't eat a lot when I'm stressed, I bake. My friends and I in high school had this in common, and we would always show up to school with various baked goods. It was a nice thing to look forward to during finals weeks and after crazy tests. My mom is a great cook and I love her dinners but know that she gets tired of cooking every. single. night. So since I'm such an avid Pinterest-er with a board full of recipes, I decided to take over last Friday night. Pardon the low quality pictures, I was a bit all over the place!

I made this Smothered Chicken Casserole recipe and this Coffee and Bailey's Layer Cake. After reading through so many recipes and finally deciding on these two, I decided I need to follow a lot more cooking blogs. They're so much fun, so pretty, and so delicious!
I knew I was being a bit ambitious with these recipes because although I love cooking, I am by no means an actual cook. Having four plus pans on the stove at one time and pots in the oven (the picture above was only the beginning) I was super overwhelmed. I could only use the timer on the microwave for one item at a time so I had to keep track of a lot in my head and on my phone. I was very all over the place but everything ended up turning out fine!
The above picture is a half eaten Smothered Chicken Casserole. I modified the recipe a bit, using chicken breast instead of chicken thighs because I prefer that and using asparagus instead of broccoli since we had eaten broccoli the night before for dinner. Pro tip for this recipe: use chicken thighs. One of my chicken breasts never ended up cooking all the way through and the asparagus and pasta were drying out at that point. Also, don't make the entire box of pasta. It was a lot.
The cake I ended up modifying a lot but not on purpose! It ended up turning out great considering I thought I messed everything up! The frosting was a bit chunkier that I would have liked, as the recipe was a bit above my level of baking. The cakes turned out really nicely even though I originally thought I had messed them up. I added a bit more Bailey's to the frosting and the cake than was in the recipe, since in her comments the original chef had said to do so if you liked the taste of Bailey's.

It was an eventful and fun night and I was so happy to be able to bake and cook again. Though my recipes didn't turn out perfectly I am always looking to improve them and try out new things. I think I'll try this more. Hopefully those cooking classes during my study abroad in Italy will help out!

6 comments:

  1. Everything looks so delicious! I'm a stress eater, so we could be best friends. You bake, I eat! Haha! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to make you some food haha. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good night and a good cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice and relaxing, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. That cake looks soo good! Baking is so relaxing to me - I love making cakes, it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cakes are my lifeline! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete