Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 2016 Goals

June is an insanely busy month for me, and unlike my 101 in 1001 post, I actually know what my short term goals are. A quick overview of my schedule isn't so quick. Unlike every other university ever apparently (this is me being bitter that all of my friends are home without me), my finals are in June. So I have this last week of school that I am currently in and then I have a week of finals to get through. In between now and then I have to pack literally everything ever that I have with me to take home since I won't be back here fore quite some time. I have to make the ten hour drive home after my last final and once I'm home I must unpack and then begin to repack to leave for Italy at the end of the month. I really can't complain, it's just a lot to do! So here are my goals to keep me sane:

1. Pack everything as neatly as I possibly can
This might seem obvious, but I am a terrible packer. I could be a good packer if I wanted to be one, but typically I end up packing very last minute and just shoving everything into the suitcase at odd angles. This results in wrinkled clothing and an annoying unpacking process. Because I have so much to pack and so little time, because I have to unpack everything and immediately repack it, I am going to try my best to pack everything as nicely as is humanly possible so more fits and everything goes quicker. This goal also goes for packing for Italy. I don't want to show up at my host family's house with a bag about to explode!

2. Not overspend my budget
Being home with friends, I will be going to a lot of brunches, lunches, breakfasts, dinners, wine nights, and late night donut runs. What do all of these have in common besides being delicious? Money. The last time I was home I had a job. This summer, I will not. Therefore, budgeting is essential.

3. Practice Italian
Because my last Italian class before going to Italy for my study abroad will be this Friday, yet I do not leave until the end of the month, I need to make sure I can still speak Italian by the time I leave. I plan on going over my notes, re-reading my textbook, practicing on Duolingo, and communicating with as many Italian speakers as possible in June.

4. Ace my finals
This one might be a bit harder to achieve and certainly up to interpretation. I have a final in dance that I've already completed, a final in Italian that is this Friday, a final in math that is next Wednesday, and a final in my writing class that is due next Thursday. Realistically, I am setting a goal to get an A on all of these finals and a B on my math final. I really would like to finish the year strong!

5. See all of my friends
By friends I do not mean my Facebook friends (seeing over 1,000 people in a few weeks would be difficult) I mean actual friends I haven't seen in months! We have so much to catch up on and there's honestly so many people that I would ideally be able to see every day.

6. Get at least halfway through the first Game of Thrones book
I have really been dragging my feet here. I don't read when I'm stressed like I used to (my default now is Grey's Anatomy and baking when I'm stressed) so I haven't had a chance to fit much reading into my schedule. I really want to make a dent in this long book though! That thirteen hour flight to Italy might help!

7. Spend time with my family
Just as much as I want to see my friends that I've missed, I want to see my family. I'll only be home for June during summer and by the time I get home, I will need to be whisked away to my new school. This doesn't leave much time for family (even though they will be visiting me in Italy for my birthday!) so I want to be able to see them as much as possible and do everything I can't do in Italy or Southern California with them!

8. Cook some dinners
My mom hates cooking, I love cooking, it's a match made in heaven. Just because I like cooking though, doesn't mean I am good at it nor that I know how to do it. I really would love to try some new recipes now that I'll have a budget and full kitchen at my disposal to make cool dishes.

9. Complete an academic advising appointment
Since I am transferring, I need to meet with an academic advisor either over the phone or in person. Ideally, I will be able to visit Chapman in Southern California in person for a weekend (perhaps during VidCon?) to go over my schedule. I recently did the math and I can probably graduate on time. Crossed fingers. I can't wait to get my Fall class schedule and officially add my second major!

10. Look at the positives
My best friend Maggie, who I really don't see as often as I should, has been super inspiring to me my entire life, but especially in the past few years. Her positive outlook on life and desire to get through hardships with a smile on her face is exactly how I want to be. I know it isn't easy and we're all going to have our moments, but she really helps me think consciously about easing my stress, complaining less, and always keeping an upbeat outlook on the world around as and what it has to offer. So that is my final goal for June 2016. It will probably carry over as a goal to July 2016, but I might as well start working on it now!

So there you have it, quite a few goals for a short month that will go by quickly, but there's a lot to accomplish! Just because school is out doesn't mean life stops!

No comments:

Post a Comment