Monday, June 20, 2016

What to Bring: College Edition

One of the number one tips you hear in college posts and videos about packing is not to overpack. I am notorious for overpacking, I will literally pack an entire suitcase to the brim for a weekend trip. I just never know what I'll want to wear! What if the weather changes? Plus, on top of clothes I have to pack shoes, makeup, skincare products, and hair products. It is so easy for me to overpack. So just imagine how I felt packing for nine months and moving to another state without the comfort of being able to go home in case I forgot anything. My solution was to pack everything. DO NOT BE ME! As I was packing to go home and hadn't seen half of my clothes since I moved in, and random items were lost forever. Here's a super quick list so you can check off some of the musts that I loved having my first year in college!

1. Storage drawers
I got super cheap yet super helpful plastic drawers from Bed Bath & Beyond (note everything in this list was probably bought and can be found at BB&B unless otherwise noted). There are so many different kinds for any of your needs. The ones above are stacked already, but there are also drawers that you can unstack and move around which is what I opted for in terms of utilizing my dorm room space to the best of my ability. I kept so much in here
2. Business casual clothes
Even if you don't think you'll need more formal clothes or if you live in a beach town or will be in a super snowy climate, you will probably still need them. You might join clubs that have formal meetings or end up going in for an interview or go to networking opportunities and job fairs where you'll want to look nice! This wasn't a problem for me because I exclusively wear dresses, but it really helped out when I needed to dress up too!

3. One set of towels
If you're like me you will only need one set. My mom and I originally bought two sets and I honestly ended up losing one of them. The idea is that you can use one while the other is dirty/being washed/dried/etc. but it was just so not necessary. Save yourself the money and the space and only get one set, and wash them. Please. Wash them.
4. Mattress pad/bedbug protecting mattress cover/duvet/sheets/extra blanket
These are pretty obvious but some might not come to mind at first! Though you can always pray your dorm/apartment will not have bed bugs it's better to pick up a $20 mattress cover than risk them! It stays on all year, doesn't need washing, and gets rid of a super big headache automatically. Mattress pads that make less than desirable, used mattresses nice, duvets and sheets that keep your bed cozy and cute, and an extra blanket for cold weather are all musts!
5. Dish soap
If you intend on bringing and having dishes in your room, just know cleaning them is going to be a bit annoying. Having dish soap will make it so much easier, especially if you have a sink in your room or right down the hall. You'll thank me later.
6. Fans
This is dependent upon where you are going. If you live in a usually cold area like I did, the dorms might not have air conditioning, just heaters. It got up to 100º during Spring term though as we approached summer and all of us were dying. Fans saved my life. Vice versa, if you're in an area that is usually hot you might not have heaters in your room. A space heater or just extra blankets and some comfy pillows and a jacket would be recommended for this situation.
7. Laundry bag or bin
I got a super cute turquoise polyester bag that said "wash me" with a smiley face drawn on it as my laundry bag. People also had pop up laundry "bins" that were necessary to transport dirty clothes to the laundry room. I also ended up keeping my detergent and dryer sheets in here for convenience! (Pro tip: dryer sheets) A good idea after drying your clothes is to fold them ASAP, if you live them in your laundry transportation device they will wrinkle and you won't look cute.
8. Day planner
Just do it. I know it sounds kinda high school-y but it saved me. I would go through my syllabi at the beginning of each term and write down any and all assignments on the day they were due so I would never forget them. Some people put assignments in their calendar on their phones which also works, but I found writing down the assignments and being able to quickly flip through and see highlighted tests, projects, and papers and when they were due to be super helpful.
9. Not candles
Does this count? Maybe I'll make a what not to bring list, but seriously check out what isn't allowed in your dorm before moving in. I had to send my thousands of candles (okay maybe it wasn't thousands) home because they weren't allowed, even unlit, even without a wick. It was tragic but I somehow survived.

This is obviously not a complete list, there is so much that is up to how the dorms work at your school and what your roommate might be bringing to the table (hello mini-fridge!). I highly recommend running down this list at Her Campus to make sure you have absolutely everything you need. Feel free to leave any questions you have about the dorm and move-in process as well as what to get below and leave anything I might have left off this list! Happy shopping!

29 comments:

  1. Something I've also found really helpful is a HDMI converter. It's always nice to have access to Netflix in a community setting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is perfect for people with a TV!! I know it saved us in the house a few times haha

      Delete
  2. Great list! Business casual is so important. I know so many people who didn't bring anything (or not college-appropriate business casual) and had to spend money on it there!

    Tori
    mooretori.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Just a cute dress or some dress pants and a nice blouse. So simple but easily forgotten!

      Delete
  3. Im sure this is very helpful to college students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. I brought way too much stuff when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a mistake most people make! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. This is a great list! Another tip I think worth mentioning is understanding that you can buy things once you get to school. I realized that I brought tons of shampoo and conditioner back-ups, when I could've just as easily asked my parents to drive me the 5 minutes to the nearest Target to buy those things before they left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so important! Everyone read this comment. This is something I only recently realized but it is so valid and vital to remember. There are convenience stores everywhere! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. This is a great list! A lot of these were my essentials when I went off to college back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see not much has changed! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I would also add business professional clothing — there are many situations I encountered in college where wearing business casual attire wasn't appropriate. I also lived off of dry shampoo in college!
    Kayla || Keynotes from Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with this! Both the professional clothing and dry shampoo--life savers! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. From my college days-fans are a MUST! You nailed it with the packing tips!
    xo,
    Katelyn
    www.theyellowspectacles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dying the first week it hit the 90ºs and I didn't have one! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  9. Storage drawers are 100% essential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have seen the floor of my room without them! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. I absolutely agree for the business casual clothes- when I joined my sorority I ended up having to buy more than what I already had for the weekly chapter meetings! Great list!

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, haha. I know a few girls who wore the same dress every week! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Yes! These are all great tips! My planner saved my life. It is so important to meet deadlines and make time for everything going on! I still use my planner in my adult life because I need to write everything down!

    xo CourtneyDrew
    www.courtneydrew.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's not in my planner it's on some other calendar. My life would be a mess without them! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. Haha not candles! I got written up one year during room inspections bc I had one .. love that I can burn them whenever I want now in my own apt!

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I need to insert that laughing while worried emoji right here because it was such a big headache for me. I *love* candles and didn't realize they weren't allowed until room checks. Eek. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  13. This is a great list! I'm an overpacker too and always brought way too much stuff with me haha!

    Kristin
    The Blush Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so funny cause I remember being so upset about not being able to have candles either. Haha but loved this list!

    XO Corbin Tate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although college is long behind me, I can definitely relate to the overpacking dilemma! Every time the husband and I go on a long weekend trip, he's (still) so surprised that I need SO MUCH STUFF, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't bring a fan my first year of college and I totally regretted it! Great suggestions girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luckily my brother went to univeristy two years before me so I learnt a lot about what I needed from him! I'd definitely recommend bedding/blankets though. I didn't have a radiator in my room and was frozen!!

    ReplyDelete