Thursday, August 11, 2016

Why I Am Transferring

For those of you who don't know, I am transferring from the University of Oregon to Chapman University this fall (16 days until school starts!). I have, understandably so, been asked over and over again why I am transferring. I am a special circumstance, I never wanted to go to the University of Oregon, it was never my top choice, so I always knew I wanted to transfer and find a place I could truly call my second home. Though I had never wanted to go to University of Oregon, I discovered there was more than just not wanting to go somewhere. I saw tweets and heard from my friends about how they were always so excited to go back to college and how even though they missed home they missed college so much and maybe even more. It wasn't like high school, for them, where you dreaded the countdown to the first day of school or the back to school commercials. Everyone I had talked to (save for those of us who were dying to transfer) really really wanted to go back to college. For me, let's just say after winter break I never booked transportation back to college, so I arrived to classes a day late after my mom took a last minute train ride with me. I simply never had the feeling others did.

I was thrilled for orientation and I was teeming with joy awaiting my class schedule and learning all the buildings of my classrooms. I was ready to explore the gigantic stadium that held football games and dreaming about decorating my dorm room, rushing, and meeting new people. And I did all of that. I went to football games and joined a sorority and met tons of new and wonderful people. But I never had that feeling of home or belonging. I love my actual family home home so I will probably never not want to go home but I wanted to find somewhere else that I'd be happy to go back to at the very least. Somewhere I felt that I could thrive at.

One of the most difficult parts about transferring is all of the people you meet and everyone you make friends with has found their home. And it is precisely where you do not want to be. Football games were fun, but I always felt out of place and somewhat fake going to them. It was simply not me. My acting class was entertaining but I didn't feel like I was expanding my understanding of the craft and the shows that the university put on I didn't get exhilarated about. My sorority was so much fun, but I didn't meet "my person" in my sorority. When I first announced to people that I was looking to transfer, people told me that I would grow to love Oregon and that I was just homesick. People would say that I would find what is great about the school and make friends that would become my bridesmaids and have memories that lasted a lifetime. For some, this is true. Despite these promises however, for me, everything fell a bit short of the ecstatic excitement everyone else around me had for college.

There are many reasons that people transfer. The reasons I have listed above give some insight into those reasons and how it might be difficult to understand that these are reasons to transfer at first. My major (theatre) didn't challenge me. My potential second major (political science) didn't spark my interest. My teachers were 50/50 in terms of being good. I wasn't into the sports everyone else always looked forward to. I don't like the rain. The party culture at a huge PAC-12 school intimidated me. The size of University of Oregon made me feel insignificant. I didn't feel like I could find my place in this city or college. I didn't feel like this university would help me succeed. I did not find the opportunities that I was looking for at Oregon. I looked forward to the end of the day and dreaded waking up. These are my reasons. Many seem petty, many seem insignificant, yet they add up.

I only had one school that hit that "this is it" button like everyone tells you will happen during your college search. That school, for me, was New York University in New York City. I applied early decision, I flew to New York City for an audition, I put everything I had into that application, yet I was rejected. I still remember getting that email. I remember my parents cried because they were so sad for me because they knew how much I wanted it. That was heartbreaking to me. Yet I still look back on that moment and I am thankful for it. The more I have grown the more I realize NYU (despite its many alumni Broadway success stories) would not have been right for me. I thoroughly and wholly believe that everything happens for a reason, some things I cannot explain and some things I cannot say what the reason is. My transfer process is something that was meant to happen to me though. This post isn't meant to seem whiny or annoyed at my experience. As laborious and stressful as the process is, and as much as I always wanted to transfer right now, the entire transfer process helps a person grow and find themselves. You know what you want and you find a strength you never knew you had.

It may be difficult for some people to admit that they want or need to transfer, but it isn't a shameful thing and it certainly isn't impossible. Leaving your friends behind is not easy. Leaving what has become known and comfortable to you is not easy. I have a strange, distorted love for the University of Oregon that I don't think many people would understand and there is a sad melancholy feeling in leaving the place that I did not love behind, like an ex-lover that you know isn't right for you but you still appreciate. In all of this, I know I am making the right decision. I have never been more ready to count down the days to the first day of school.

43 comments:

  1. I know a bunch of people who transferred and they all ended up loving their new schools! Good luck hun x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I transferred schools for different reasons than you but can definitely understand your reasoning. Good luck at Chapman, I hope it's a wonderful new start for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear why you transferred, thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. I have a couple good friends who transferred schools and were so happy with their decision to do so. Good luck with the new year, I'm sure it will be great! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. I'm transferring schools, too, so this really hit home for me! I can totally relate on not finding your bridesmaids at school and feeling a bit insignificant due to the size of the school. Ultimately, you have to do what's right for you and it will be better for you in the end!

    X,
    Cristina / cristinawashere.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could relate and so glad you found somewhere else to explore and love!

      -Meagan | Love by Meagan

      Delete
  5. I transferred and I am so glad I did! It can be difficult getting in to the swing of things at a new school! Wishing you the best!

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like transferring is the perfect option for you! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your college career at Chapman!
    -Anna | www.fivefootandfabulous.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I transferred after my first semester, best decision ever.

    Sarah || http://stylishsassyandclassy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had to transfer and I don't think I need to especially since my program isn't offered at many schools! I am sure there are many nerves but very exciting!

    http://styledbys.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you're happy where you are :) Thanks for reading Sydney!

      Delete
  9. I wish you the best! I actually transferred three times before finding my right school! I'm so glad I did!

    HashtagFabLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds crazy but I'm so happy you found your place! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Good luck at your new school this fall! My brother transfered four times until he found a school he loved!

    Greta | www.gretahollar.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wild but so glad he found a place he loves. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. I also transferred as an undergraduate. I completely understand what you mean when you said that you just weren't excited about going back. I spent three semesters at my first college before transferring, and I loved where I transferred to! I loved it so much that I came back for my graduate degree, lol. Everyone should feel a sense of enthusiasm about their school, and I agree that there's nothing shameful about admitting that their current school just isn't right for them. Thank you for sharing, Meagan!

    Sockwun | ExtraExtravagant.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this comment, I'm so glad you found where you were supposed to be and you understand the wanting to go back thing!

      Delete
  12. Good luck with transferring! I think it's a great choice especially if you didn't love your first school. Wish you the best!!


    xo // www.thematerialgirl.co

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister hated the school she went to her freshmen year and really struggled to get through one year there. She transferred her sophomore year and it was the best thing she's ever done! She's so much happier now and LOVES her new school! Good luck with your new school!

    Kristin
    The Blush Blonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, I'm so glad for her!! Thanks so much Kristin!

      Delete
  14. It sounds like you without a doubt made the right decision for you. Sometimes you are just not meant to head in a direction and you are meant to head in that one. You are following your heart and that is the most important thing you can do.

    La Belle Sirene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your transfer a lot of people really love the new school and you'll never know if you don't try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So brave of you to make this leap! I hope you love the new school!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hopefully Chapman ends up giving you that home feeling you've been searching for!! I can't wait to see you around campus Meagan! (p.s. I'm already thinking about a Chapman blogger hangout....so that should happen).

    xo
    Sami
    www.theclassicbrunette.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get there! And yes!! That should definitely happen.

      Delete
  18. I hadn't transferred when in school but sounds like a big decision and one that I'm sure will work out for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so important to do what feels right for you! I loved loved LOVED my school, and I can't imagine going to a place for university where I didn't feel that way, so I completely understand why you'd want to make the switch. Good luck on this new endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Dude, Thanks for share nice info, Do you know about UFC 209. Here the Blog you can know all

    details about UFC 209. Thanks Have a Nice Day

    UFC 209

    UFC

    UFC 209 ppv

    UFC 209 live

    UFC 209 live stream

    UFC 209 start time

    UFC 209 live free

    Woodley vs Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  21. While the UFC waits for its mainstream stars to return to the octagon, the promotion has booked a UFC 209 card that appeals directly to its. Lando Vannata knew he was ready for the UFC when he got the call last year to face No. 2 ranked lightweight Tony Ferguson on just two.
    UFC 209
    UFC 209 Live , UFC 209 Fight Card
    UFC 209 Live Stream , UFC 209 Fight


    The return of Georges St-Pierre livens up the UFC pay-per-view depth chart. At the time of his 2013 hiatus after a ninth consecutive. Set to take on Marcin Tybura (14-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at Saturday's UFC 209, Henrique (10-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) will have one of his big examples.
    UFC 209
    UFC 209 Live Stream , UFC 209 Live
    UFC 209 Fight , UFC 209 Fight Card

    ReplyDelete