Monday, August 15, 2016

Love by Lecce: Buon Appetito

This will be my last post in the Love by Lecce series. It's crazy we've come to two months so quickly (I leave in ten days!) but here we are! As always, this post will be in Italian and in English. This post is going to look a bit longer because each language section needs the same pictures for it to make sense. Thank you for following along!

Non posso finire la serie "Love da Lecce" senza un post sul cibo! Sono in Italia, dopo tutto! Ci sono così tanti ristoranti a Lecce che non avrei potuto visitarli tutti neanche se ci avessi provato. Per fortuna, ho avuto modo di visitare un gran numero di ristoranti e posso facilmente dire che non ce ne era uno che non mi piaceva. Non credo che potrei mai stancarmi di pasta, pizza, formaggio e vino. Così, oggi vi poterò nel mio viaggio sul cibo italiano!
Prima di tutto, uno dei miei preferiti: The American Hamburger. In ogni ristorante che aveva "hamburger" sul menu, il piatto sarebbe venuto fuori in questo modo. Hamburger di carne senza formaggio, condimenti, pomodori, lattuga, o il pane! La prima volta che abbiamo visto questo, abbiamo pensato che fosse divertente, anche se non un po' deludente. Tuttavia, ora mi piace questa versione italiana di hamburger.
Ora: i dolci! Cosa sarebbe l'Italia senza tiramisù, naturalmente. Ma quello che ho amato quasi più del tiramisù era il soufflé di cioccolato che ho trovato in quasi tutti i ristoranti! Erano tutti così caldi a ben fatti, di solito con un qualche tipo di frutta. Il tiramisù qui è venuto in tutte le forme e dimensioni diverse con varie decorazioni che ho trovato così interessante!
Avanti: carne. La carne costituisce l'intero "secondi piatti" sul menù dei ristoranti in Italia. Secondi piatti potrebbero essere sia di pesce o animali di terra. Una notte ho ordinato un "piatto di carne." E 'stato solo un piatto di patatine fritte sotto un hamburger (stile italiano ovviamente), salsicce, pancetta, kebab, manzo e pollo. La cameriera mi aveva avvertito che sarebbe stato abbastanza per due persone ma l'ho preso comunque. E' stato soddisfatto il mio desiderio per la carne americana come pancetta e hot dog. La foto sopra è un piatto di carne che abbiamo fatto al nostro corso di cucina. All'interno del manzo ci sono il formaggio e maiale!
Cosa sarebbe l'Italia senza la pizza? La prima foto è di una tradizionale Pizza Margherita. La foto qui sotto è di un metro di lunghezza, e' la pizza Diavolo. Sì. UNA PIZZA LUNGA UN METRO. Era pazzesco, c'erano sei di noi e abbiamo finito tutto più un altro mezzo metro, che non è nella foto. È vero, l'Italia sa come fare la pizza senza dubbio.
Sappiamo tutti che io sono una grande fan di Starbucks. Nonostante l'Italia praticamente abbia inventato il caffè espresso, non hanno alcun Starbucks e a loro certamente non piace la bevanda dolve che beviamo tutti i giorni da Starbucks. Non troverete un magro caffè latte di soia latte alla vaniglia qui, amici miei. Di solito non si trovano caffè con ghiaccio. La foto sopra, però, è di una speciale bevanda di Lecce chiamato Caffè Leccese. È fatto con caffè espresso, ghiaccio, e un particolare tipo di latte di mandorle dolci. È uno dei miei preferiti!

Ci sono troppi tipi di pasta di lista ogni tipo che ho provato mentre all'estero in Italia. Questa foto è anche dalla nostra classe di cucina quando abbiamo fatto gli gnocchi. Io sono una grande amante della pasta, la mia unica lamentela è che i ristoranti qui non mettono il parmigiano sulla loro pasta! E potrei amare il formaggio ancora più di quanto io ami la pasta...
Questa foto è dal tour della fabbrica in pomodoro. Ci sono le melanzane e pomodori di essiccazione, come si può vedere. Amano melanzane qui e le utilizzano in un sacco di diversi piatti. Non mi piacciono molto pomodori casa, ma i pomodori qui in Italia sono così buoni. Ho davvero apprezzato la piccola selezione di prodotti che ho avuto qui!
L'età legale per bere alcolici in Italia è di 18 anni, così naturalmente ho cercato di bere molte diversi birre e vini (va bene, per lo più solo vino) che posso mentre qui! I cocktail sono solo i cocktail americani, bevande come "screwdrivers" e "rusty nails." Il vino qui è così buono! La mia amica Sophie e io abbiamo deciso che amiamo Chardonnay, un vino bianco un po' dolce. Amano anche il rosato qui quindi non posso lamentarmi.
Cosa sarebbe questo post se non parlo del gelato? Niente! Ecco una delle tante foto che ho ho fatto dei bei gelati qui in Italia. Ho deciso che mi piacciono i sapori più dolci come Panna Cotta e Nutella. Sì, mi mancano le diverse opzioni di sapore per gelati (e caldo fudge!) Dell'America, ma il gelato qui è così soffice, cremoso, e semplicemente delizioso. Non si può visitare l'Italia senza gustare qualche gelato!
_________________________________________________________________________________
I couldn't finish out my Love by Lecce series without a post about food! I am in Italy after all! There's so many restaurants in Lecce I'm sure even in these two months I wouldn't have been able to visit them all if I had tried. Thankfully, I was able to visit a lot of them and can easily say that there wasn't one that I disliked. I don't think I could ever get tired of pasta, pizza, cheese, and wine. So today, I take you through my Italian food journey!
First off, one of my favorites: The American Hamburger. Without fail, any restaurant that had "hamburger" listed on the menu, the plate would come out like this. Hamburger meat without cheese, condiments, tomatoes, lettuce, or even a bun! The first time we encountered this we thought it was hilarious if not a bit disappointing. However, we have grown to love these Italian versions of hamburgers.
Next up: desserts! What would Italy be without tiramisu, of course. But what I found that I loved almost more than tiramisu was the chocolate soufflés I found at almost every restaurant! They were all so warm and well made, usually plated with some sort of fruit. The tiramisu here came in all different shapes and sizes with various decorations which I thought was so interesting!
The next on the list is: meat. Meat made up the entire "secondi piatti" on Italian restaurant menus whether it be fish or land animals. I wish I had a picture of the "meat plate" I got at one restaurant. It was literally a plate of french fries topped with a hamburger (Italian style of course), sausages, bacon, kebabs, beef, and chicken. The waitress had warned me it was meant for two people but I got it anyways. It definitely satisfied my cravings for American meat! The picture above is a meat plate we made at our cooking class. Inside of the beef you see is cheese and pork!
Again, what would Italy be without pizza? The first pizza picture is of a traditional Margherita Pizza. The picture below is of a meter long Diavolo Pizza. Yes. A METER LONG PIZZA. It was crazy, there were six of us and we finished it all plus another half meter that is not in the picture. It's true, Italy knows how to make pizza without a doubt.
We all know I'm a big fan of Starbucks. Despite Italy basically inventing espresso, they do not have any Starbucks and they certainly do not like the sickeningly sweet beverages that we drink everyday. You will not find a skinny soy vanilla latte here, my friends. You usually won't even find iced coffee. The photo above though, is of a special iced coffee drink from Lecce called a Caffè Leccese. It is made with espresso, ice, and a special kind of sweet almond milk. It has become a favorite of mine! Other than this though, they basically all drink straight espresso. Bleck.
There are way too many types of pasta to picture and list every type I have tried while abroad in Italy. This picture is also from our cooking class when we made gnocchi. I am a huge pasta fan, my only complaint is most restaurants don't put parmesan cheese on their pasta! And I might love cheese even more than I love pasta...
This photo is from the tour of the tomato factory. There are eggplants and tomatoes drying, as you can see. They really like eggplant here and use it in a lot of different meals. I don't really like tomatoes back home but the tomatoes here in Italy are so good. I've really enjoyed the small selection of produce that I've had here!
The legal drinking age in Italy is 18 years old so naturally I have been trying out as many different beers and wines (okay mostly just wine) that I can while here! Their cocktails are basically just American cocktails, drinks like "screwdrivers" and "rusty nails." The wine here is so good! My friend Sophie and I have latched onto Salentinian (the region we are in) Chardonnay, a white wine with a bit of sweetness. They also love rosé here so I can't complain. (Rosé all day, right?)
What would this post be without gelato? Nothing! Here is one of many photos I have taken of the beautiful gelato here in Italy. I have decided I like the sweeter flavors like Panna Cotta and Nutella. Though I miss the diverse flavor options for ice cream (and hot fudge!), the gelato here is so smooth, creamy, and simply delicious. You can't visit Italy without getting some gelato!

What is your favorite Italian food? Let me know in the comments below!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing time! Look at that pizza! I'm so jealous you've spent so much time in Italy, what a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unique that you write these posts in Italian and English!! What a special travel experience you've had.

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the food looks so yummy! I'm dying to go to Italy.

    xoxo, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pizza omg!!! Now I'm hungry heheh. Thanks for sharing- love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I just ate but reading this made me hungry again! I hope you had a wonderful time in Italy!
    -Anna | www.fivefootandfabulous.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay yum! Love me any kind of pasta.

    Alix | www.apintsizedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, yum!!!! I literally want all of this! A tomato factory?! It's so funny to think about things that we don't even realize exist! Great post.

    xo,
    Sara Kate Styling

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these food pics is not helping me diet at all haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks delicious!! Literally want to try everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of this food looks so good! I would love to try real Italian Pizza!

    Xo, Chelsie @ Hey There, Chelsie

    ReplyDelete
  11. O-M-G that large pizza! Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, all of this food looks delicious! Nothing beats Italian food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can only imagine how incredible the wine is! Seriously, I am so jealous of all the delicious grapes you are consuming!

    ReplyDelete