Monday, April 11, 2016

College Spotlight: Vanderbilt University

Back at it again with Katie at Vanderbilt University!



M: What is your name?
K: Katie

M: What school do you go to?
K: Vandy

M: Where is located?
K: Nashville, Tennessee
M: What is your major(s)/minor(s)?
K: Mechanical engineering with either an engineering management or corporate strategy minor. I haven't decided.

M: Why did you choose to go to Vanderbilt University?
I chose Vandy because of the location and the academics - it has a beautiful campus but is in a busy part of the city, so there's plenty to do but you still get the homey feel of a campus (vs being a city campus). There's also lots of hiking and other things to do outdoors. I've also heard a lot of good things about Vandy alums, so I hoped it would help me get a good job.

M: 
What is your mascot?
K: Commodore
M: Does your school care about sports?
K: We're in the SEC so we care about sports, but definitely not as much as state schools. You can definitely find people who are super into it, whereas others don't care at all.

M: What else does your school care about?
K: We care a lot about academics.

M: What isn't the best thing about your school or what would you change?
K: The administration is cracking down on Greek life, which sucks a lot. I would definitely change that. Frats are getting kicked off and they're being stricter so it's not as fun as it apparently used to be. They're trying to get rid of it completely.
M: What would you definitely not change?
K: I wouldn't change our campus - it's beautiful. Additionally, I love that the teachers are so helpful/they're always willing to help one on one if you ask.

M: What is your favorite aspect of your school's campus?
K: Our campus is an arboretum, so it's all green with tons of trees and red brick buildings.

M: What is your favorite aspect of your program/major?
K: My favorite aspect of engineering is solving problems. Our senior year is mostly devoted to senior design, where we work with companies to solve real world problems.
M: What is the best thing to do in your college's city/town?
K: The best thing to do in Nashville is probably all the live music. Live on the Green is a free concert every Thursday in the fall.

M: What is the best place to eat on campus and what do you like to eat there?
K: I like Grins, a vegetarian cafe (even though I'm a carnivore). I like either the Mac n cheese or the caprese panini.

M: What is your favorite class that you have taken so far?
K: My favorite class has probably been computer science.
M: What is a class you really want to take?
K: I'm not really sure what I want to take. Our curriculum is pretty set as engineers. I'm looking forward to the more business-y classes for whichever minor I decide on, though.

M: Where is your "spot" either on or off campus?
K: My "spot" last semester was Provence cafe off campus, because they have awesome coffee and tomato soup. This semester I'm so busy I don't really have a "spot" since I'm always running around.

M: What is the party scene like?
K: The party scene is good! People go out Tuesday's and Thursday's, and then Friday and/or Saturday. And then of course there's tailgates in the fall and for St. Patrick's day and Rites of Spring.
M: What is your favorite memory at your school?
K: My favorite memory is probably the St. Patrick's day tailgates, or when we beat UK in basketball and stormed the court.

M: What makes Vanderbilt unique?
K: We're unique because we have such good academics, but also party and have fun. We're one of the few top universities left whose Greek life is intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment