Friday, May 6, 2016

College Spotlight: Pace University

Our newest college spotlight comes from two students at Pace University in New York City!
M: What is your name?
L: Liz Carroll
B: Borna Barzin

M: What school do you go to?
L and B: Pace University

M: Where is Pace located?
L: The Financial District of Manhattan
B: Downtown Manhattan, NYC

What is your major(s)/minor(s)?
L: English Language and Literature with a concentration in writing and literature and Communication and minors in Sociology and Anthropology, French Studies
B: Theatre directing with an Econ minor
M: Why did you choose to go to Pace University?
L: Because of its location, honestly.
B: Pace has an incredible performing arts school, I went there to be in the city while studying theatre.

M: What is your mascot?
L: The setter! A big ol' dog named T-Bone.
B: I have no clue.
M: Does your school care about sports?
L: The New York City campus is very limited on sports but the Pleasantville campus is really into it, but here we have basketball and volleyball.
B: I'm not sure actually, I haven't heard anything about it so probably not.

M: What else does your school care about?
L: The performing arts at my school is HUGE and there's almost always a show to go see.
B: Our school has a big career focus. I'd say more than half of students have an internship and are trying to balance career and school already.
M: What isn't the best thing about your school or what would you change?
L: The cafeteria sucks, the staff is rude and the selection is minimal, and the health code violations aren't cool.
B: I love the location and the ability to work while being in school. Instead of being in a campus school, I feel like I'm a fully functioning, independent adult because I live in the city. I do think they need to improve the classrooms, many are pretty run down.

M: What would you definitely not change?
L: The opportunities, like the internship program is amazing and the resources on campus for students are top notch.
B: The size of the school. I know a lot of kids at my school, which is great. It's like high school in the sense that everyone knows everyone, but there are more people so it's easier to find your group of people you get along with.
M: What is your favorite aspect of your school's campus?
L: There isn't really much of a campus to my school since its so metropolitan. The thing they say about Pace is that "New York City is your campus" so it's hard to say what my favorite aspect is.
B: Location

M: What is your favorite aspect of your program/major?
L: The diversity of class options. I can apply so many different things towards an English major like right now I'm taking a film and screen studies course that is giving me credit towards my major.
B: That all my professors are working in the city and use us in their professional work. By the time we graduate we'll have a lot of professional credits just because our professors use us in their work.
M: What is the best thing to do in your college's city/town?
L: lol (see below)
B: It's New York City, you can do anything you want to do. See a show, go to a museum, see a Mets game, anything.

M: What is the best place to eat on campus and what do you like to eat there?
L: A block away from my school's main building is this street Fulton, that's full of restaurants. My favorite is Chipotle to be honest because I'm basic.
B: The caf sucks, just like most schools. Chinatown is a five minute walk and they have dope dumplings though.
M: What is your favorite class that you have taken so far?
L: I took a really interesting one that was like the History of New York City.
B: I love my acting class so much.

M: What is a class you really want to take?
L: American Sign Language
B: I can't wait to take my theatre directing class next year.
M: Where is your "spot" either on or off campus?
L: Now that it's getting warmer, I like doing homework at the seaport! It has been breezy and cute as heck!
B: Our spot is definitely the caf and maybe South Street Seaport? That's where I do a lot of my homework and lots of students tend to be there.

M: What is the party scene like?
L: There aren't a whole lot of parties for freshman, unless you know upperclassmen who throw down at their apartments. There are a lot of bars that Pace students go to.
B: It is what you want it to be. A lot of kids don't drink or party or anything, and a lot of kids go to clubs and do cocaine all day everyday. Depends on who you are.
M: What is your favorite memory at your school?
L: Guacamole
B: My favorite memory is just hanging out with my friends after a long rehearsal. Going under the Brooklyn Bridge at night and just watching all the lights turn off in buildings, it's a fun time.

M: What makes Pace University unique?
L: Sometimes people call us the dumb NYU.
B: Pace is unique because of its location and its really strong performing arts/business school. Those two schools are filled with really talented, passionate people that are very career focused. It's great energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment